Exception Handling

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

hi,

I am new to layered architecture. But this is very nice sample and i got more ideas about this architecture. Now i am creating one product based on this architecture. Once creating, My mind have more and more doubts about security between layers (Authorization) and Exception Handling etc..

Now i read some articles about Exception handling and got ideas. So my suggestion is why we can include one Exception module also in this Template? May be this is very basic..but i think that is more helpful for beginners

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Hi,

The security, exception handling and other cross-cutting concerns have been purposely left out to make the code easy to understand. The purpose of this sample is to illustrate layering concepts and to get people familiar with how components between layers interact. As cross-cutting concerns can be implemented differently based on individual's preference, I do not want to dictate how they should be implemented.

However, I can share some ideas with you. :) For security, you need to secure your "tiers" and not layers. If you are following the Deployment Architecture of the ExpenseSample, then the point where you need to secure is on your application security at your front-end (web or desktop app), your back-end (service endpoints) and the connection to your database server.

For exception handling, you can implement them at your boundary layers i.e. at Service layer and Presentation. You do not need to have try...catch blocks in every method if you do not intend to handle the exception or not adding extra information to it. The exception will bubble up to the caller and so, you only need to handle the exception at the boundaries.

You can read more about how to implement cross-cutting concerns in the Microsoft Application Architecture Guide 2nd Edition.

This sample should not be treated as a template. :) If you are looking for template guidance, may I suggest you check out the related project instead, Layered Architecture Solution Guidance. There is an experimental option to generate an ErrorHandler at the service layer to trap all exceptions from the backend. But you will need to do some reading on WCF to know how to configure it because at the moment as the tool doesn't generate the necessary configs (yet).

Have fun and Happy Layering ;)

Hugs,
Serena