VB.NET Version?

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Hi,

I tried to convert this into VB.NET, but not having the complete understanding of the layers is making it a little more difficult. Do you think you might be able to provide a VB.NET example?

Thank you.

sathish

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Hi,

At the moment, there are no plans for a VB.NET version. But I can put that on a wishlist :)

What help do you need? Maybe I can help explain some of the concepts to you to aid you further in your understanding :)

Hugs,
Serena. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Hi Serena,

So I'm just getting started with converting this application. So the first thing I did was to create the data layer. Now, the objects in the data layer looks like have been typed in manually. Is this something that can be automated?

Here is my goal:

I'm planning to write a CRM software and something that will get expanded to take order management into account in the future and develop a WPF app in the future, so the architecture you have in this sample seems to be the best, but at the same time, I want to see if I can cut down the development costs and that I don't have to write every single object's definition by code at the same time have the most optimal performance that can handle 1000's of users.

Thanks.

sathish

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Hi Sathish,

I am not sure if you can get some quick tips and tricks from this - Layered Architecture Solution Guidance (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c8c473b5-21a1-447a-8b24-33b43411ee7f) It is a sister project to this one but it is on C# as well. This tool provides the automation required to create apps as illustrated in layer sample. Maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Employing Layered Architecture for a CRM software is a good choice (IMHO). You can easily develop, deploy and scale the application. You can also port it directly to the Cloud if done correctly.

Performance should not be an issue but you will require to rely on some more advance knowledge in WCF and WF to tune it. I have enhanced versions of layered service applications running in my organization supporting millions of hits. I am currently working on short-messaging-service (sms) solutions and this architecture works perfectly well.

I think the most important thing now is to be able to get started with the layered app. After that, you can put in the advance tech and design patterns to make it much better.

Hugs,
Serena