Question on the Hosts layer

May 26, 2015 at 9:32 PM
Just want to say thank you for all your hard work in putting all of this together, it's nice to have a concrete example of a layered application stack instead of the usual diagrams that send on your way to actually figure it out.

I do have one question though as it is the only piece that I have not been able to wrap my head around. What is the purpose of the Hosts project/layer? We usually separate services out into smaller segments and position them on our servers accordingly, for instance admin services go on more secure servers that have no outward facing ports, etc. So I may be too ingrained in what we are doing to understand the point of that layer.

Am I missing any benefit if I nix the Hosts layer and just create Web API services and host them as I normally would? I'm assuming the Hosts project was just a nice way of coupling them into one place.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Hi,

The Host project isn't a layer. It is just a physical deployment unit to match the App Server. The reason is because WCF requires a host to run and that's the reason why it is there. It is purely a technology requirement rather than a fixed design.

Best Regards.